Technical Curriculum Writer
We are looking for a part-time technical curriculum writer to help us develop CSM Technical Math (TechMath), a new course focused on the most critical math skills for technical jobs across many industries (public utilities, health care, construction, etc). The audience for the course is primarily adults in workforce development, and it may also be used in high school career and technical programs. The course will be built on our next-generation adaptive learning platform that allows for extensive personalized learning and is designed to build independent learning skills, persistence, focus, self-efficacy, and more.
The development of CSM TechMath is funded by a federal grant from the Department of Health and Human Services, in conjunction with our partners the United Southern and Eastern Tribes (USET) to train and engage Native high schoolers and adults to take on challenging roles in water and wastewater operations. TechMath will initially be piloted with Tribal Nations, and is designed for large-scale impact across the country and in many technical fields.
The position is for 15-20 hours per week, with highly flexible scheduling. You will work remotely through the pandemic, and afterwards, if you are local, we encourage you to work at least some of the time from our offices in East Boulder, though there are options for work at a distance. The work is currently funded through 2023, and there may be opportunities for conversion of the job to full-time over the next year or two.
Your role will include:
- Writing lessons for each skill on TechMath, including such lessons as Concepts, Solving the Problem, Step-by-Step
- Brainstorming common errors that students could make on each skill, and writing targeted feedback
- Structuring the TechMath curriculum for adaptive learning, including determining the component supporting skills for each section of the curriculum
- Creating contexts in which each skill may be used (e.g., an area problem might be a farmer measuring an oddly shaped field, or a construction worker measuring a room, etc.)
- Working with software developers to ensure good implementation of your content (no coding skills necessary)
- Testing and quality control to ensure that skills are operating properly once they have been coded
- Strong writing skills
- Strong math fluency, including mental math
- Creative approach to math and math education
- Positive approach to constructive feedback
- Sense of humor
- Bachelors degree
The following skills are not requirements of the job, but please be sure to highlight any of these that you might have, as well as any other skills that you think might be relevant.
- Background in instructional design
- Background in education (K-12, college, adult ed, workforce development, corporate training, etc.)
- Background in any technical field that uses math in practical ways
- Interest in educational technology
- Experience on complex writing/development projects
- Interest or experience in any type of coding/programming
CSMlearn has developed CSM, an online course that builds the essentials of high performance that lead to success in school, college, work and life - including math and literacy, problem solving, active learning, persistence, confidence, high personal expectations and self-efficacy. CSM is the world's most advanced adaptive learning system, with countless innovations in personalized education.
CSMlearn is a Public Benefit Corporation and a Certified B Corp, and we are honored to have been on the Best For The World: Customers list in 2018 and 2019 for our commitment to being a force for positive change in the lives of those who take our course.
Many of us at CSMlearn have families and all of us have lives outside of work, and we believe in work-life balance and allowing flexibility for people with complicated lives.
CSMlearn is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Compensation is competitive, and depends on experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.