- Online, self-paced, next-generation adaptive learning technology
- Deep remediation to 4th/5th grade math and literacy
- Gains college math credit and builds postsecondary readiness
- Builds and certifies key Common Employability Skills
- Teaches the skill of making career decisions throughout your life
- Develops the skill of lifelong learning
- Inexpensive, easy to implement, scalable, low technology requirements, accessible to those with low digital literacy
High Performance, for everyone
However, the biggest stumbling block for the field is the "on-ramp" -- how to prepare people lacking skills and self-confidence to succeed in rigorous academic and workforce programs directed at middle-wage or better jobs. Without an on-ramp, workforce development can reach only a subset of its target population, and equity outcomes will lag.
CSM is a self-paced online course that builds the High Performance competencies that allow struggling youth and adults to tackle advanced workforce programs:
- college-level quantitative reasoning (earning college math credit even for those starting with 4th-5th grade skills)
- critical workforce literacy
- the ability to use those math and literacy skills to solve real-world problems
- the ability to learn new skills on your own
- execution of those skills with care and persistence, with an intention to excel
- a deep-seated belief in your ability to succeed, which allows you to do all the above
These High Performance competencies are the keys to lifelong learning and workplace success, and which many individuals (including college graduates) lack. CSM is a single, inexpensive, engaging course, packed with next-generation technology that builds these essential performance competencies.
High Performance is useful for everyone. The same CSM Course is taken by both opportunity youth and low-literacy adults... and even by corporate managers with advanced degrees! Different people need different skills, but high performance is of universal value.
Learn more about High Performance.
CSM: a new type of course
Groundbreaking innovation in personalized learningFunded initially by the US Department of Education, CSM is the only adaptive learning system that simultaneously personalizes instruction in academic, how-you-learn, how-you-act, and how-you-feel domains. Behind the scenes, CSM responds to how a student tries to learn, their frustration levels, their learning strategies, and more to help develop High Performance competencies. Here are a few examples from CSM's hundreds of techniques.
CSM acts like a personal tutor
CSM detects and responds to students' specific mistakes. If a student is stuck, it will take them to another skill and bring them back later, rather than push relentlessly. And if CSM sees deeper gaps, it can take the student to instruction in skills as low as 4th grade math and literacy.
CSM builds a desire for excellence
The only passing grade in CSM is 100%. By achieving this, students develop strong attention to detail, learn what A-level work is, gain confidence in their ability to do A-level work, and experience the joy of mastery. All of these are essential to building an intention to excel.
CSM builds confidence
When a student masters a skill, CSM will tell them that they've learned something that, for example, only 35% of 4-year college grads and 15% of all adults can do. The numbers vary for each skill, but the lesson is the same: students learn that they struggle not because they're poor at academics, but because the skills are hard for everyone.
Learn more about the CSM Course.
With CSM, you earn college math credit
CSM has received a recommendation from the American Council on Education (the major coordinating body for the nation's higher education institutions) for 3 semester hours of quantitative reasoning at the baccalaureate level. Through this, colleges with over 600,000 students accept CSM as elective or math credit, and the CSM Certificate can be sent as a college-level transcript to any college. This credit can save hundreds of dollars on college tuition, while potentially satisfying some or all of a degree's math requirements without the need for algebra.
Learn more about the CSM and college credit.
CSM develops also postsecondary readiness
- 28% of CSM Certificate holders signed up for associate degree programs, and of those
- 80% have either graduated or already shown multi-semester persistence!
CSM skills are valued in the workplace
CSM is aligned with Common Employability Skills -- the most widely-adopted framework for the skills that employers care about for all jobs. In fact, CSM has been taken by the CEO of Firehouse Subs and the Senior Vice President of Operations of a Fortune 500 manufacturing company.
"The CSM High Performance course and certificate addresses a core set of the Common Employability Skills that is directly linked to high performance on the job. It focuses on individuals being their personal best: Caring about what they do, pushing through failure, having high expectations for themselves, and following through."
— Valerie Taylor, lead author of the Common Employability Skills Framework
CSM also develops workforce readiness
It doesn't matter what you've learned in school or college if you make poor career choices. Yet in high school, students spend 4000 hours in academics, and on average get just 30 minutes of career counseling (and most get none!). CSM includes an optional course-within-a-course called Career Strategies that teaches the skill of lifelong career decision-making.
Career Strategies lessons include:
- the difference between a job and a career
- you should always be thinking about your career, and not just at transitions
- careers are built from promotions, which are built from performance and personal and professional traits that you can be developing every day
- what a "living wage" is, and that this modest income provides enough income for near-maximal happiness and satisfaction in life
- purpose doesn't come from your job, but rather purpose is what you put into your job
Learn more about Career Strategies.